Friday, August 13, 2010

Farewell ref


The football family mourns the passing of one of the country's best known referees, Koh Guan Kiat, or fondly known as Mr Kiat among his disciples. A FA of Selangor referees' board chairman for many years, Guan Kiat breathed his last at 8.05pm.

Naim Nair Abdullah said: "He is a legend among refereeing circles, if I'm not wrong he officiated three Malaysia Cup finals. He was the mentor for a good number of referees, many of whom went on to be FIFA referees who continued the proud tradition of officiating in a Malaysia Cup final."

Subkhiddin Mohd Salleh said: "He was never short of encouraging words when he was a member of the FAM referees' committee and an active referees' assessor."

Datuk Dell Akbar Khan said: "He was a very sporting ref. It was not unusual for him to tell me to play my normal game, which is robust and designed to intimidate my opponents, the last 10 minutes. But early on, he warned me to behave myself."

Former Selangor ref Adnan Jamil said: "One of few Chinese FIFA referees. Bold and straightforward. No hanky panky. Chairman of FAS referees' board for almost 20 years."

2 comments:

teachuhman said...

Farewell dear friend. RIP. I shall always remember what you have taught me and all the advice you have given us.

Andrew said...

Rest in Peace Sir. You will always be remembered.